Pages

Friday, April 29, 2011

Ode to Hello Kitty: Mascot of my 30s

When I hit 30, I decided that the next decade would be about class, sophistication and not taking any shit. In my mind, I envisioned red nail polish, girly shoes, dresses, and harmonious ensembles of tops, slacks/skirts, cardigans.

As I sit here wearing my sport zip-up jacket, my glitter pink nail polish, jeans, rainbow-print shoes, and chunky elephant ring, I realize that my vision of my 30s is the actuality of my early 20s. How quickly I've ditched the vision. This was confirmed when I realized I had quite the addiction to Hello Kitty.

It all started with the Hello Kitty line at Sephora. All I got was the Apple balm, but it was enough to get me started.

It's super moisturizing and the right amount of color, btw. Nevermind that the container is cute to the max.

Then it was the pouch I found for $7 at the mall.

You can get it at Cutesense.com

Then I found the vending machines at an Asian mall in Richmond and spent about $6 on frivolity.

Upon showing my vending machine finds to my friend, Tina, she looked at my husband and asked, "Why did you let her do this?" which cracked me up to no end. FYI, he wasn't there to stop me.

And while looking for two of those photos above, can somebody explain to me why I want this?

You can get this at Cutesense.com too!
So what about the class, sophistication, and taking no shit? Well, I like Hello Kitty, and my crazy getup. I tend to just do what I feel is right. Being 30 is about not taking any shit. This includes any shit  from myself of who I should be or what I should like.

I think this makes Hello Kitty my mascot for my 30s, which seems odd to pair with the anthem of my 30s (Gwen Stefani's Hollerback girl).

1 comment:

  1. It's not odd at all! Gwen Stefani = Harajuku = Hello Kitty!

    There's nothing wrong with liking hello kitty accessories in your 30s! I would go nuts too if i wasn't on a budget. :)

    ReplyDelete