Pages

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Swimming Tip: Protect your Skin from the Drying Effects of Chlorine

Chlorine dries out the skin on my face and makes it itch! I slather on the lotion afterwards, but I still itch, and there's nothing better than prevention. I found a way to minimize the drying effects!

Before I head out to the pool in the AM, I create a barrier on my face. How? As follows...
  1. Cleanse with Cetaphil: I don't typically use this as my daily cleanser, but I do use it before I head to the pool. I slather on this cleanser on my dry face, and then I wipe it off with a clean face towel. I do NOT use water. I find that rinsing off Cetaphil is more drying than wiping it off. Before heading out to the pool, I want as much moisture in my skin as possible.
  2. Moisturize: I use Clarins Hydraquench for Normal to Dry Skin. This moisturizer is my holy grail and Cherwhoah also swears by it. However, if you have a moisturizer that works for you, then stick with it!
    Holy grail moisturizer!
  3. Waterproof Sunscreen: I use Neutrogena's Ultra Sheet Dry Touch, also a holy grail of mine. It is not greasy, is light, does not break me out, and I forget I'm wearing it. This step is especially important as it creates a barrier between the pool and my skin. It basically traps the moisture in the skin, and keeps the chlorine out.
  4.  
    Holy grail Sunscreen!
Very important point: Do not rub your face while in the pool. You're rubbing off the barrier!
     

No comments:

Post a Comment