Pages

Monday, May 2, 2011

Swimmer's Shampoo - Say No to the Stench

I had taken up "swimming" a few months ago. It's in quotations because I haven't actually done a full two laps of front crawl yet. I'm slowly building up.  Since picking up swimming, the chlorine in the pool has infused my hair with stench.

After my laps, I hop in the shower at the Community Centre, lather up, and scrub down. However, I noticed that the chlorine stench stays in my hair and punches me in the face when I take my next shower.

I started my hunt for a Swimmer's Shampoo and had found Ultra Swim at London Drugs! It cost about $9.

Ingredients
Water , Sodium Laureth Sulfate , Cocamidopropyl Betaine , Sodium Lauroamphoacetate , Urea , Polysorbate 20 , Coco Glucoside , Sodium Thiosulfate , Glyceryl Oleate , Propylene Glycol , Diazolidinyl Urea , Methylparaben , Propylparaben , Sodium Bicarbonate , Tocopheryl Acetate , Glycerin , Disodium EDTA , Polyquaternium-10 , Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice , Fragrance , D&C Violet No. 2 , May Contain: Citric Acid and , or Sodium Hydroxide

Blurb on the Bottle
Pool chlorine strips hair of life leaving it dry, brittle and unmanageable. Ultra Swim shampoo removes chlorine and its odour from your hair while replacing lost moisture. Ultra Swim...
  • Breaks the chemical bond that holds chlorine to your hair.
  • Removes harmful oxidized metals
  • Leaves hair feeling silky soft
Directions (on the bottle)
Wet hair and lather. Rinse thoroughly. Gentle enough for even children's everyday use, AND for permed, lightened or color-treated hair.

How I Use it
After another swim, I lathered up, massaged, let it sit in my hair, and rinsed it out. Sometimes I need to double shampoo depending on how my hair feels.

What to Expect
  • No more chlorine stench: The next day, I hopped in the shower, and wasn't greeted with the strong chlorine stench.
  • You may have to shampoo twice - I do most times, depending on how my hair feels. I sometimes can't get the lather going on the first go.
  • Your hair will be dry, so be sure to use conditioner.
  • Lovely generic shampoo scent
  • Is a bit watery than my other shampoos
Recommendation and Alternatives
  • I rinse my hair with water before jumping into the pool. This minimizes the effects of chlorine on my hair. 
  • Use conditioner before and after the swim. If you apply the conditioner before, be sure it's a light coating on your hair. You don't want that stuff floating around in the pool in masses. (I don't, but I'm going to start!)
  • Skip the blow dry afterwards and let your hair air-dry. Blow drying can further dry out your hair (unless you apply a balm first).
  • Apply an after-wash hair cream, serum or oil - to further moisturize or seal in moisture. (I'm on the hunt for one)
  • Wear a swim cap - but keep in mind it doesn't mean your locks will stay dry.
  • After I finish this bottle, I am thinking of getting L'oreal Kids Swim & Sport Shampoo.
    L'oreal Kids Swim & Sport Shampoo



    Yes, it's for kids...but it's cheaper, smells like oranges, is gentler, and doesn't sting if I get it in my eyes. Need to finish up the big people's shampoo first though :)

Overall Rating
4.5/5 - Is a bit pricey, but it does the job!

1 comment:

  1. That's good to know! I've never had that problem, but maybe i did but just didn't notice it. I'll get me some of the loreal kids!

    ReplyDelete