Pages

Friday, May 6, 2011

Travelling Tips and the Airplane Outfit - From Colder to Hot Climates

I have been on plenty of planes the past three years. With business trips and vacations, I've learned a few things about packing smart, and packing light. No matter where I go, I am able to fit everything I need into a gym bag. Not to mention I've finally figured out what to wear when a girl like me gets on a plane in rainy-and-cold Vancouver, and gets off in a place like hot-and-sweltering Mexico. Clearly, the clothes I bring have to be convertible, as all I have is a gym bag.

WHAT TO WEAR
These are the items I wear on the plane.

Yoga Tights
I wear these on a plane under a dress (which I'll discuss later). I wear them on the way to the airport, and on the plane to stay warm. However, once we land in hotter climates, I whip those suckers off while still seated in the plane - I'll let you know later how it is I do this discreetly.

WHY workout tights? Because I do workout at the fitness center in the hotel, run around the city, or practice yoga in my hotel room or on the beach. This extra functionality makes it so that I don't have to pack an extra pair of pants specifically for working out.

Another reason is because sometimes the plane gets hot, and these suckers are dri-fit.

My favorite pair of tights are Lululemon Wunder Under Crops!
These suckers are four-way stretch, which makes it awesome for when you're sitting comfortably in an awkward position in your tiny little airplane seat for 4+ hours.

I cannot tell a lie! I wear these tights as much as possible! I actually wear yoga clothes to work. I wear these tights, a yoga tank underneath a dressy top, and flats or boots. At the end of the day, I head to the yoga studio, whip off my top, and am ready to get my plank on.


Light-Weight Black Dress
I like to wear a light-weight black tank dress with simple shaping when I'm on the plane. The piece I own is also Lululemon. So again, it's dri-fit, and stretchy - which makes the plane ride more bearable. I wear my tights under these. Once I get off the plane, no matter how hot it is, I certainly do not feel hot (especially since by then, I've whipped off my tights).


What's great about this piece is that you can dress it up with a fancy belt, jewellery, or a big hat! Thus, it's not only for the plane ride, but for a fancier dinner in your destination city, or for exploring - it IS athletic, afterall!

Large Shawl
A large shawl doubles as a blanket on the plane. Mine was large enough to share with my husband. I got mine at H&M for $20. However, since this piece is generic enough, I'm sure you can find it in any department store.
The fantastic thing about this piece is that you can place it over your lap, and whip off/on your tights when your plane lands. It will also keep you warm on your way to the airport if you live in a place like Vancouver where it's wet-cold and chills you to the bone.

I've also worn it on chilly nights in the destination city!

Foldable Ballet Flats
Super comfortable, and easy to whip off when you're going through security at the airport or when you don't feel like wearing shoes on the plane. As well, if you decide to switch to your runners/flip flops (or whatever other pair of shoes you have) on the plane ride back, you can fold these suckers up, and shove them in your carry-on.

OTHER THINGS TO HAVE HANDY ON YOUR PLANE RIDE
Some things to consider...

Feminine Wipes
To stay fresh :) They do come in travel packets at the drug store and sometimes you can find fancier ones at the Spa. Alternatively, you could use panty liners. (I'm really hoping the guys aren't reading this right now.)
These are from a Canadian Company

Misting Toner
The air in the cabin can parch your skin. Consider bringing a misting toner for your face. I don't actually use one, but am going to start. There's Evian Mineral Water Spray,  and Caudalie Beauty Elixer, just to name two. I'm sure you can stop by your local beauty store to check out the selection. You can also use this on your feet if they're feeling tired from exploring your destination city.

Lotion
Don't forget about your hands!
My favorite and in the lovely scent of Lavender!
Tinted Lip Balm
I prefer tinted lip balm because it has color AND it's moisturizing. I like to bring my C.O Bigelow Mentha Lip Tint. The reason being that it helps with the fresh breath factor and leaves your lips tingly.
Get it at Bath & Body Works!

Happy travelling!

2 comments:

  1. Great tips! The I love My Muff wipes cracks me up! i think you gotta send me some! because i do in fact love my muff! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will send you some in your next package!! Will also try to remember to burn you that Meditation CD :D <3

    ReplyDelete