Pages

Friday, May 13, 2011

Review: Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Sunblock

I used to get manicures from a woman, an Esthetician who had studied laser technology, with the most flawless skin: Barely noticeable pores, unblemished, even skintone, etc. She looked like she fell out of a photoshopped studio picture. We got around to talking about skincare (because how could I not ask her about her skin?), and she said to wear sun protection everyday, even if it's not sunny out. Her biggest tip was to not rely on moisturizers or makeup that already contained SPF.

Mineral makeup with SPF? Forget it. Moisturizers with built in SPF? Slap on that layer of sun protection anyways! After you apply your moisturizer after cleansing, you should apply a separate sunscreen product. It's an extra layer of protection from the sun's harmful UV rays.

Imagine my hesitation! When one says "sunscreen" or "sunblock", I automatically think "greasy", "filmy", and "sticky". The thought of something sitting on my skin made me cringe. However, I was willing to give it a shot! I often hear about how it's good for you, and that it prevents premature wrinkling. As cute as pugs are, I don't think I can pull off that look.
Oh my! How Wrinkly!
I lucked out! The first sun protection I tried became a holy grail! I've been using it for 2 years consistently. I present to you Neutrogena UltraSheer Dry Touch Sunblock.


I'm not sure if you are supposed to use this for your face, as I know Neutrogena also makes sun protection specifically for the face, but I slap this on my face regardless.


Details (on the bottle)
Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Sunblock provides broad spectrumUVA/UVB protection and combines it with Dry-Touch technology to give an ultra-light, on-shiny finish. This lightweight sunblock absorbs quickly and has a light, fresh scent. The non-oily formula is enriched with Vitamin A, C, and E.
  • Waterproof, sweatproof, rubproof
  • Non-comedogenic (won't clog pores)
Directions (on bottle)
Apply liberally 15 to 30 minutes before going into the sun. Reapply after swimming, perspiring heavily or washing. WARNING: For external use only. Avoid contact with eyes. Discontinue use if rash appears or irritation develops. For use on children under 6 months of age, consult your doctor.


How I Use It
I cleanse my skin, apply my moisturizer, let my moisturizer absorb, and then apply the sunblock. I currently use SPF 30, but have also used SPF 55 (because of paranoia).

Benefits
  • It's everything it says on the label: Non sticky, light, absorbs quickly, non-shiny finish, and has a light fresh scent.
  • Vitamin A, C, and E: These vitamins are great for anti-aging, and protecting the skin not only from UV light, but also pollution and other cell-damaging free radicals.
  • It hasn't broken me out and I wear it for my runs on hot days
  • Say no to wrinkles! Prevention is better than botox, or bangs that cover your forehead (especially true, if you look horrible with bangs like I do).
Overall Rating
5/5 - Holy grail products deserve this score. I haven't ever considered switching.

No comments:

Post a Comment