Pages

Monday, August 22, 2011

A Healthier Brunch...you win some, you lose some...

The family had been going out for brunch the past two weeks after Church. Each time the bill came to about $40! Although it's very nice to go out to brunch every once in a while, $40 is pretty steep, I mean that is pretty close to our weekly grocery budget (not including costco or sam's club runs). I told the hubby that I'll cook us brunch on weekends.
My husband is prediabetic and has high cholesterol so if it's possible, I opted for healthier options of the brunch menu. Once I said the words, "TURKEY BACON" my husband's face turned pale. I might've had it before but I honestly don't remember it. I bought a small pack of apple wood smoked pork bacon for the hubby just in case he didn't like the turkey bacon. The Turkey bacon tastes pretty good, but the crispiness is nothing like regular bacon which is one of the reasons why I like bacon. I did spray my pan with some non-fat cooking spray before cooking and used Med heat. The turkey bacon burns pretty easily.

my review for Turkey bacon compared to Pork bacon goes as follows:
  • Taste: Very close to regular pork bacon.
  • Texture: Not as crispy as pork bacon since it lacks the fat. The texture is comparable to pan fried ham more than pork bacon.
All in all it's a pretty good product but I would suggest using this as an ingredient in dishes (i.e. sandwiches, casseroles, etc) rather than eating it as part of brunch (that is if you don't mind the texture) although it is a great alternative for those who really shouldn't be eating regular bacon.

PANCAKES!!! The husband told me to buy the shake bottle Pancake mixes, but it only makes about 12-14 pancakes and costs nearly twice as much as a small box of pancake mix. I noticed there was a Heart healthy pancake mix. Reading the nutrition information online, the calories are about the same, there is just a little bit more dietary fiber. I bought the Krusteaz Heart Healthy Pancake mix.

The Pancakes are very delicious! You really can't tell the difference between this and regular pancakes although, I really don't see that much nutritional value enhancement from this than other pancake mixes. If I went shopping alone (i had my 2 year old son with me) I would've spent a little more time reading labels.

No comments:

Post a Comment